понедельник, 12 января 2015 г.

People...the pearl of Canada



Canada…a country which is a real melting pot of cultures which come here from different corners of the world.



The next station is the country of a maple leaf, maple syrup, hockey and … multiculturalism which is the main prominent feature of the country. Just whisking through crowded streets you will pick up on the surprising versatility and the pleasant ambience of tolerance in the air. Once you happen to be in this friendly place you will always keep it in your heart!

The country, as we can see, has made great progress since independence. Now it is one of the world’s most developed nations. Canada takes one of the best places in international ranks of education, civil liberties, quality of life, politics, economics. Every year the county of the maple leaf spends large sums of money on domestic research and development. Influenced by Britain and France Canada has a rich culture and various unusual traditions. Many Canadians value multiculturalism they have and they are very proud of it. And we can only marvel at its cultural mosaic.
There are many things in Canada which other nations should adapt to. I think, the intercultural atmosphere makes everyone there alter and get ingrained in this form of tolerance and amiability. I believe it is what I picked on from the very first day. I was watching not at skyscrapers,  lakes or shop windows glistening with light, but the people! 
I still remember being dropped off at Josephina’s house where I was going to stay for three weeks. That was my first experience of facing the culture that was alien to me. I spend hours talking to that woman who I picked up many useful tips on life from. The most valuable advice she gave me is that a woman must be independent from widespread prejudices. “If you want to survive in this world you must be in the know of everything. Read as much information as possible”, she said. 
Josephina belongs to the type of the house-proud. Every day something in her house was repaired. Once she complained that the flange of the roof was dented. I strained to see the “bruise” but it was in vain. I managed to notice only a small breach which seemed to Josephine an enormous spot spoiling the outward look of the house, a feature of the Canadian stability and prosperousness.
Some days later her furnace broke down. Coming from school next day I found a small brigade working on the first ground tugging heavy tools. In the evening I learned that Josephina was unsettled with the result of their work: the furnace still didn’t work in a proper way, making strange noises which didn’t prove its good state.  She called the agency again ranting about the bad service and asking for a competent person to call and carry out the necessary repairs, otherwise she would have to take legal advice on the matter. All in all, she got what she had been seeking for. The furnace was seen to and then worked well.
 I established a close rapport with the landlady. In the evening we would sit in the kitchen and talk about different things. I gave her an illuminating lecture on the Russian culture and Josephina warned me against the possible vicissitudes. When something does not go smoothly I remember her words carved in my mind and then everything gets just fine!
The thing which is the main feature of the Canadians is that they are always ready to lend you a hand. Only one sight of bulged frightened eyes urges them to rush to you and see to the problem.
My trip to Toronto was a landmark in my life, I would even say, a focal point. After acquaintance with this dazzling place I came back home renewed with completely changed views and outlook. Almost every day the surrounding metamorphosed me. A foreigner is not perceived there as “an overseas rarity” which is typical for most of Russians. Today it is not a big deal to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger. At first it was rather hard to ask passer byes how to get to a particular place. But after a while it got down to a fine art. Considering the well-mannered Canadians it was not that frightening to stop them and enquire about some whereabouts.   
I remember walking about Yonge Street straining my eyes to see the ilac office (a language school in Toronto) and suddenly some lady pushed me with her handbag. “Not a big deal!” I would think. To my surprise, she apologized to me. Frankly speaking, this gesture was a little eerie to me. But the repeated phrase “sorry” which was uttered after every push got then a usual “pray”. I found this Canadian habit so intrusive that I could not repress the temptation to include it in my routine day’s practice and experience it then at home.  But hardly had three days passed when it disappeared and I resorted to the same clichés.



The smiling faces of passer byes raised my spirits.  I took to it and walked around Toronto in glee. Everything was amazing me!

Canada is a rich country in all respects of the word. Despite its young age Canada has much to show. Niagara Falls, The CN Tower, Algonquin Park must not drop out of sight if you are there. But do not forget to take people into account since they are the pearl of Canada.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий